Huntfield Heights

European History and Heritage - suburb profile

Its name commemorates the association of the Hunt family with the Noarlunga district and the former City of Noarlunga Mayor, Morris Hunt. Huntfield Heights lies to the south-west of Hackham. The township of Hackham grew from a subdivision by prominent early landowner Edward Castle. By 1866 Hackham was linked by daily coach to Adelaide and had a post office, licenced school, and hotel, the Golden Pheasant (built 1841). The town, however, did not flourish and dwindled to nothing more than a broad area of gardens, farms and vineyards until the 1960’s and 1970’s when suburban subdivisions drastically altered the land.

Some of the early landholders of the sections that now comprise Huntfield Heights included Charles Holly, son of Hackham pioneer William Holly, George Yates whose property became known as Sparrow Farm and is now a reserve off Melsetter Road, and William Hutchinson, a carpenter who established his property “Ardwick” in 1842 and helped Edward Castle with the construction of “Hackham House”.

Walter Morris Hunt was elected a Councillor for Noarlunga Council in 1965. Elected Chairman in 1970, he became the Council’s first Mayor and, later, Mayor of the Corporation of the City of Noarlunga. He held the post until his retirement in 1985. His leadership of local government coincided with the dramatic and swift change of the area from farmlands to suburbs.

Suburb profile - Huntfield Heights 2 - history profile
Olive Farm

The land on which Olive Farm was built was originally owned by Edward Castle, and was purchased by William Holly in 1845. The three roomed house was built around 1850. The olive trees from which the farm derived its name were planted in 1860. Other forms of agriculture, vineyards, livestock and cropping activities were also undertaken on the land. The farm was inherited by William’s son Charles Holly. The rear portion of the homestead was built in 1924.

Top