Cat owner responsibilities

The following are requirements of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995


All cats and dogs must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age or at the point of sale.  Veterinarians may exempt an animal for medical reasons.

Microchip details must be recorded on the statewide database, Dogs and Cats Online.

Owners are encouraged to take advantage of the numerous discount microchipping days throughout the state. Visit for upcoming dates, locations and to make a booking. Alternatively, contact your local vet.


All cats (born after 1 July 2018) must be desexed.

Please consider desexing your cat if it is born prior to 1 July 2018.  Desexing prolongs a cats life, prevents unwanted litters and reduces wandering.

Breeders and Sellers

All breeders and sellers must meet new industry standards and guidelines, to comply with the state’s animal welfare laws.

Breeders must register with the Dog and Cat Management Board. In exchange, they will be issued with a registration number that must be provided, along with up-to-date contact details in all advertisements for the sale of dogs and cats.  For further information, visit the Dog and Cat Management Board, Breeders

Choosing a Cat or Kitten?

For advice on selecting your next cat or kitten and to search cats available for adoption, visit RSPCA.

Cat containment

Cats do not need to roam outdoors to be happy. Providing their basic needs are met, cats enjoy longer and healthier lives when safely confined.

Suggestions for keeping your cat entertained indoors are available in the Good Cats Play at Home booklet

Stray cats

Reduce the number of semi-owned cats

If you own a cat and can no longer care for it, do not dump it. Not only is this cruel but it is also illegal under the Animal Welfare Act 1985. Try to rehome the cat or take it to a shelter.

Do not feed a cat that is not yours

Feeding a cat that is not yours is not caring for it.

Take it to your local vet or a shelter. It will be scanned for a microchip, examined for a desexing tattoo and have a general health check.

If it is unowned or cannot be reunited with its owner, you have the option of taking full ownership of the cat or it can be adopted.

If you decide to keep a stray cat you need to be prepared to do the responsible thing and have it desexed and consider containing it to your property.

Feeding unowned cats allows them to breed, continuing the cycle of nuisance and feral cats spreading disease and killing wildlife.

Nuisance cats

There are things you can do to discourage persistent nuisance cats, visit Good Cat SA Nuisance cats for proven tips and advice.

If the nuisance persists after you have taken reasonable steps to address the issue, contact our Community Safety Team on 8384 0666. 

Our officers may be able to provide you with further advice on how to deter cats from entering your property.

Cat cages are also available for hire from us.

Cat cage hire

Residents can access our cat cage hire program in order to trap nuisance stray cats on their property. Trapping should only be considered as a last resort.

Cages may be hired from our Noarlunga office for a hire fee of $13.20 per week.  Waiting periods for cages may apply.  Bookings are required by contacting Community Safety on 8384 0666.

Requirements for the humane handling of a trapped cat exist under the Animal Welfare Act 1985.

An identified cat (a cat that is microchipped or wearing a collar) that is trapped must be returned to its owner or released immediately at the location it was trapped, as required under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

Advice on the humane cage trapping of cats must be followed and can be found below.

PDF icon png Humane cage trapping of cats (159K)